Savamala, once a wetland area, received the urban structure in the thirties of the 19th century at the order of Prince Miloš Obrenović. The name "Savamala" is an inherited Turkism. The name came from the name of river Sava, which according to the Turkish rules was placed in front of the pronoun ”mala”, the summit of the Turkish word mahala – which means a quarter or part of the city. Since the very creation of Savamala, it was conceived as the centre of Belgrade, but it never became. The idea of Savamala as the centre of the city was abandoned after 1945, which made Karađorđeva street a transit for "heavy" traffic, and once the beautiful facades of the surrounding buildings collapsed.
This is an authentic part of Belgrade, with significant and valuable buildings, an old craft shops, and a special atmosphere.
Instead of architects and urbanists, artists are trying to turn Savamala into the capital of creators and those who love to enjoy in art. Galleries and exhibition spaces rising all over the place, as well as the Mikser Festival, which is being held in this once abandoned and forgotten part of the capital.
From the town centre of Belgrade, Savamala is only a mile away.
In Karađorđeva street, from numbers 2 to 4, there is Beton Hall, a former empty and neglected warehouse, which since 2006 has a new look and purpose. Today Beton Hall is located in Karadjordjeva street, one of the most popular places for nightlife. There are numerous cafes and restaurants with a beautiful view of the river and tasty food, which are open throughout the day and even during the evening.
Our ancestors knew to appreciate the fact that Belgrade was on the banks of the two rivers and wanted to use this potential in the best possible way. Today we realise what they have begun in order to give this part of the city the kind of glow it deserves.