My Guide Website?
Central Serbia: Royal Dynasty Half Day Tour from Belgrade
Take your chance to learn about turbulent history of Serbia in XIX and XX century and the fearless struggle for freedom and progress.Here stories about famous leaders of First and Second Serbian Uprising, and the history of the Serbian royal dynasty.
- Enjoy beautiful landscapes of central Serbian province, Šumadija,or 'Serbian Tuscany'
- Visit the place where First Serbian Uprising started
- Admire the magnificient St. George church
- Taste the wine from royal cellars, in an area widely known for producing good wines
- Honor one of the greatest characters in Serbian history, Đorđe Petrović - Karađorđe
DescriptionYour tour starts from Studentski Trg. You are heading towards Topola, a small town in the central Serbian province of Šumadija. After an hour and a half drive you’ll spend enjoying the beautiful landscapes and hear stories about the Serbian struggle for independence from the Ottomans at the beginning of 19th century and the history of the royal dynasty of Karadjordjević. Reach Topola, where you will visit the Karadjordje’s Konak and old church, a place where Djordje Petrović -Karadjordje, one of the greatest characters in Serbian history, lived and from where the First Serbian Uprising, a war against the Ottoman invaders. Climb to the Oplenac hill, a beautiful green area covered with wood, where on the highest point a Royal endowment the St. George church is situated. At the beginning of 20th century, the church was built as a house of prayer and a mausoleum – a resting place for all the members of the Serbian (later Yugoslav) Royal family of Karadjordjevic. A tall and elegant, Byzantine style five dome church is completely covered with white marble from Venčac, a mine in the vicinity of Topola. But, what leaves you breathless is not the church appearance but its interior. A spectacle of colors and light, lavishly decorated marble floors, and colored glass mosaics with gold plate on the walls. A surface of 3 500m2 is covered with more than 40 million peace of mosaics in more than 15 000 shades of different colors representing the largest gallery of copies of Serbian medieval fresco paintings in one place. In the left and right wing of the church two of the most prominent members of the Royal family are buried: Karadjordje himself, a founder of the family, and King Petar I, the first crowned ruler. Under the church, in a crypt decorated in the same manner, 40 tombs of the members of the Royal dynasty of Karadjordjevic are situated. Next, visit the small museum next to the church; which shows an invaluable collection of the Royal regalias and personal belongings of the members of the Royal family. After some free time for walking in the park around the church, you’ll visit the Royal vineyards and old cellar, where you shall see how the production of wine used to be and you’ll have a chance to see some of the old equipment utilized in that process. After your eyes and souls have been fed with beauty, head back to Belgrade.
IncludesSmall group tour ( up to 8 persons ) Hotel pick-up and drop off Transport by air-conditioned minivan or private car Professional guide Entrance fees for St George`s Church Entrance fees for King Peter`s house Entrance fees for Karađorđe`s house Entrance fee and wine tasting in Royal Winery Traditional Serbian lunch
- The tour operator never cancels the tours, however, if you are the only person on the tour, a supplement of 50% will be applied. You will be informed at latest 24 hours before the trip, if you are the only guest on the tour, and you will be offered a choice between canceling the tour with no fees applied, or paying the supplement of 50% of the price
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now